Knitcentric

Young mother, and avid knitter working her way through life, one pair of socks at a time.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Hey everyone, here are the show notes from episodes 13 and 14. Sorry they took so long!

First off, last week I spoke about knitting I have seen on tv recently. For some truly inspired knitting check out the 1991 show Dinosaurs. I also spoke a bit about where I would like to see some knitting in entertainment.

I knit a Watermelon hat, based off of the hat knit by the Yarn Harlot recently. I’m having a bit of trouble with the seeds, I don’t want to leave a string going through the inside of the hat, but I’m not sure how else to do the double stitching.




I finished my World Cup Knitting. I had knit the Fuzzy Reception Cardigan designed by Joanna Sieff and available through knitpicks.com. I ran out of the Merino Style wool before I could do the button band, so I’m going to look for a clasp of some sort.



Lastly I worked on a tank top for Joanna. I cast on and started knitting in the round. I’m not sure how I’ll do the straps, but I’ll figure it out.




Episode 13 Reviews

Spin Off summer 2006
www.interweave.com
Rating-Full stash box It is full of information, a variety of things. I’m not ready for all of it today, and some I’m not sure when I’ll get around to it, but full of possibilities

The Yarn Girls Guide To Kid Knits, patterns for babies and toddlers by Julie Carles and Jordana Jacobs

Rated-Bright colored stockinette sweater- simple enough to make, goes over big with the parents, but the kid cares more about what color.

The Imperfect Mom

Rated sweater knit on the wrong size needles that still keeps you warm.


In Episode 14, I finally talk about knitting in Okinawa. I have looked for Okinawa knitters, but alas I have found none. Since I have no tales of Japanese knitting, I shared my adventure as I searched for a yarn store.

I have nothing new to report on my needles. Since I finished my world cup knitting my focus has been on Joanna’s dancing girl quilt. I have 3 ½ squares left to finish before my mother gets here. I really want to finish before then, so I can have my mother’s help putting top, batting and bottom together.

Greetings From The Knit Café by Suzan Mischer

Rated-Handspun silk and cashmere socks. You might not need them, but who wouldn’t want them?

Songs for episode 14 were provided by my lovely daughter Joanna. She has desperately wanted to help with this podcast, and was thrilled at such a fun contribution.

I've been having trouble with links lately, so I am sorry to not have any today!

Thank you everyone for waiting on Episode 13 notes!

5 Comments:

  • At Sat Jul 08, 09:31:00 AM, Anonymous sprite said…

    I like the pin you have on the sweater now. I'd stick with that!

     
  • At Sun Jul 09, 06:29:00 AM, Blogger Lori H said…

    Love the sweater -- it turned out great! I've been thinking about knitting that sweater this fall. Thanks for the podcast -- I enjoy listening.

     
  • At Sun Jul 16, 01:36:00 PM, Blogger Rebekkah said…

    Hi! I'm currently listening to episode 13, and thought I'd comment before I forgot.

    If you're interested in finding more TV on DVD with nice knits in it, you should watch the Gilmore Girls. They quite often wear nice knits, and while they don't generally look hand knit in the overly obvious way, they are great inspiration for us knitters who know that hand knits don't have to look obvious or frumpy. And I also think you'd really enjoy the show.

     
  • At Mon Jul 17, 07:27:00 AM, Blogger webhill said…

    Hi! I just wanted to drop you a note. I've been listening to your podcast just for a couple of weeks, and have not yet managed to listen to all available episodes. However, just this past Friday, I went to an award ceremony held locally to honor all residents of Montgomery County, PA, who had served in the armed forces. My dad served in the US Navy during 1966-1969 and was for much of that time stationed in Danang, VietNam. So anyway, I was at that ceremony to pick up the award on behalf of my dad (who couldn't make it) and almost everyone there was 70+ years old. Luckily, the other young person who attended sat across the table from me and we chatted. I had brought my knitting (I was making a booga bag) and she remarked that she wanted to learn how - so I taught her the very basics as the mayor of the town droned on. Her name was Elyse, and she is currently in the US Navy, and will be graduating from nursing school this week, and apparently is going to be heading to Okinawa at some point in the next year! I told her about your podcast and she said she'd try to listen. So, if you ever come across an African-American US Navy nurse named Elyse, you can tell her you were expecting her, I guess ;)

    Take care,
    H.

     
  • At Sat Jul 22, 04:15:00 AM, Blogger Maura said…

    Hi! This is Maura up in Lovely Sendai, Japan... at least for another week! THen it's back to the states for a while.

    Okay.. here's a few Japanese pointers...

    Often stores seriously reduce (or perhaps even get rid of) their yarn during the summer months. It's really seasonal, so don't totally give up. Try the store again in the fall. The local stores here haven't brought in any cold weather knitting gear yet. Japan is a very seasonaly sensitive culture.

    Also, here's some vocabulary that might help...

    Yarn - keito (kay-ee-toh)
    Knitting - amimono (ah-me-mo-no), this actually refers to crochet as well...
    Knitting needle - amiburi (a-me-boo-ree)
    Crochet hook -kagiburi (kah-gee-boo-ree)

    Do you have yarn?
    Keito wa arimasu ka?

    Where can I buy yarn?
    Keito wa doko de kaimausu ka?

    I love knitting.
    Watashi wa, amimono ga dai suki desu!

    Hope this helps!
    Maura

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home