Knitcentric

Young mother, and avid knitter working her way through life, one pair of socks at a time.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Hey everyone!

I know I'm late, and if you noticed, I'm sorry. I've had a few issues lately, and I'm going to try to be on time this week.

Before we go any farther, I never did get a picture of this contest yarn up. This yarn is 880 yards of hand dyed lace weight merino wool. I think the color comes out okay, I had to take a couple of pictures to get a good color shot. This yarn will be given away in the next show to the person who can give me the best dumb advice. Tell me what advice you were given, that you already knew but needed to hear anyways.



This week I talked about my knitting in public. I mentioned somethings you might already be familiar with, The Stare, The Question, The Beg and The Brush Off. I did go off on a small male knitting tangent. If I offended anyone with my random thoughts, I really didn't mean to!

Off my needles I have the 'tank you very much' tank top from Yarn Girls Guide To Beyond the Basics. I also started spinning my first merino yarn, and picked out my World Cup Knitting Project. I'll have pictures next week, with my progress on both. I might put a picture of my tank top, but I probably won't be in it, I don't photograph well. I prefer to put the cute child on!

I reviewed The Yarn Girls Guide To Beyond The Basics, by Julie Carles and Jordana Jacobs. I was so tired I forgot to put an actual rating on this, but I did babble for quite a while about it. To remedy this, I will rate it now, with a rating of 100% Merino wool. Good quality, very versitile, and warm and snuggly. Of course 100% wool is not for everyone, and thigns can go wrong, but still very good.

Well, That's all for today. I'm hoping to get back on track this week, so I should have a father's day show out in a couple of days. I hope you don't get too tired of me right now!

7 Comments:

  • At Mon Jun 12, 05:56:00 PM, Blogger malegra said…

    My best, most necessary, unneccessary advice is this:

    This Too Shall Pass. So know that the trials won't last forever.

    ... the fussy babe in my arms and sleepless nights. She'll grow to rest more easily.

    ... the belligerent toddler with stomping feet. He'll learn to use his words.

    ... the frustration of more month than money. The self-owned business will take off.

    ... the unfigurable instructions of my first short rows in a pair of toe-up socks. They'll make sense with a little patience and frogging.

    ... the tangled mess of my first spindled yarn. I'll later yearn to create such wonderful slubs.

    And the happy moments too. They Too Shall Pass. So don't forget them.

    ... the fuzzy newborn smell as you cradle her soft body against your breast. Savor it.

    ... the "most veryest tightest most snuggliest hugs ever" from a four year old.

    ... the insightful observations from pre-teen in our first woman-to-woman conversations.

    ... the peacefulness of a cozy evening in the arms of my husband and lover.

    So I ponder them all, letting the bad times sift away into the wind, and pouring the sweet memories into the hourglass of my heart.

    This Too Shall Pass.

     
  • At Wed Jun 14, 09:55:00 AM, Blogger Colleen said…

    I really enjoy your podcasts. I've actually enjoyed them as they got longer which happened as you became more comfortable with what you were doing. You have some interesting insights and delightful stories. Yours is one of the podcasts I look for to download into iTunes.
    So, please, just do your podcast, have fun, and don't worry about it being "too long".

     
  • At Wed Jun 14, 01:05:00 PM, Anonymous PBnJ said…

    The best advice I ever received was from my mom. She told me to always try to learn from the mistakes of others instead of making the same mistake myself. I believe that advice has helped me out a lot in life and kept me from a lot of problems and heartache.

     
  • At Wed Jun 14, 02:18:00 PM, Anonymous Melissa said…

    One piece of advice that I have gotten, that should seem obvious to me, but that I tend to forget is to take things one step at a time. This helps me (when I remember it) with large (and not so large) projects that I find myself working on, both knitting and everything else.

    By the way, I am enjoying the longer podcasts too.

     
  • At Thu Jun 15, 06:40:00 AM, Anonymous Eric said…

    -posted in podcast but probably belongs here-

    As a male knitter I was interested in your comments about men knitting and particularly knitting in public. I have just gegun knitting in public but I have to admit I am a bit shy about it. It seems safe to knit in airports or when away on trips but where some one I know might see me is oddly hard. My wife assures me that I am being silly but it does feel strange to knit in public. I am happy to say that I and another knitter did KIP on WWKIP day.

    p.s. Advice I cherish and use regulalry comes from my aunt "save the big guns for the elephants" i.e. do not waste energy and emothon over trivial matters save it for the important stuff.

     
  • At Thu Jun 15, 07:48:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Well, today is the last night for the contest and here I am at night trying to submit something for it. I'll give you some advice my mom keeps giving me... "If you stay off that ankle and soak it, it'll get better." Yeah, I know. But I have 3 little kids, the oldest is 4yrs. I guess I should add that I hurt my ankle trying to play soccer. Then I should probally tell you that I haven't played for 10 years and haven't run in the last 5 years (having kids does that). And you might interject here that I should have trained for this (like my DH did after I hurt myself during the first game). Which you could consider a second piece of advice for the duh file. So you can probally guess that I have sprained my ankles, yes that's plural. Both of them are hurt.

    Good luck with your contest. I love your podcast. It's a great lenght, perfect, not too long!

     
  • At Thu Jun 15, 08:35:00 PM, Anonymous girlie jones said…

    Best and Worst advice was when I was younger and really upset not to have a boyfriend - I desperately wanted to be in a loving relationship. My mother's advice was, you will find it when you stop looking for it. And gosh darn it she was right but it was hard to stop looking!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home