Knitcentric

Young mother, and avid knitter working her way through life, one pair of socks at a time.

Friday, April 28, 2006



Welcome back everyone!

Well, I had a lot of fun planning my show this week. I recorded first thing in the morning, so I hope my voice isn't to sleepy. Joanna helped me to edit this morning, so I hope it came out okay. She got a little bored, but what else do you expect from a four year old.

Well, I talked about patience today. I would love to teach Joanna to knit, so she might learn a little patience. She's four, so naturally she wants everything now, now, NOW! She loves yarn, and has her own needles now, so she's on her way to learning. For now she asks me to knit her socks, sweaters, blankets and teddy bears.

I have had to use patience a lot in being a mother, and it has not been easy for me. I am most certainly not a patient person by nature. Knitting has helped me to focus a lot on the process of life, taking things one step at a time. As lessons go, this is one of the best. I'm learning patience, and getting nifty socks.

On my needles this week I knit a small stack of washclothes. It was a lot of fun, I was able to use mostly leftover scrap cotton, and make some cute cloths. I never thought knitting for function could be so much fun.

I did one review this week, Knitting, A Novel by Anne Bartlett. There were some good parts to this book, her descriptions of the yarn and knitted projects were so vivid I ended up with serious yarn envy. However, I really didn't like the main charecter, Sandra. Reading an entire book about a person who I would not hang out with if she was real, wasn't exactally my idea of a good time, so the review wasn't too flattering on that aspect.

I also did two Podcast mentions, Irie Knits, and Math4Knitters. Both of these were very good, and you should definately give them a listen.

Lastly I sent out a small plea for help. I cast on a pair of toe up socks just before recording, and I am trying to find a pattern for the heel, that isn't an afterthought heel. I have a couple of ideas, but I'm looking for some other ideas as well.

Well, that was all this week. Thanks for listening!

3 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 30, 06:18:00 PM, Blogger MikKnits said…

    what about a regular short row heel? Toe up is the only way I choose to do socks these days and I've been really successful with the short row heel. You can see examples at my blog, if you wish, at: http://www.mikknits.blogspot.com

    I really enjoy your podcast!

    Michelle

     
  • At Mon May 01, 01:12:00 PM, Anonymous melcauble said…

    I used this for my first (and only) toe-up sock. According to many blogs, it is an often-used pattern. Easy once I understood all the wraps but if you already know how to do the short row toe, it is essentially the same...

    http://www.wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm

     
  • At Mon May 01, 05:13:00 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    try:
    http://tiajudy.com/putmeon.htm
    If the link doesn't work, google "You're putting me on socks".
    It is a great pattern and includes a pattern generator so that you can use any guage yarn. The heel looks like a traditional flap heel, you just knit it "backwards". I did one at a baseball game today, so you know it isn't too difficult.
    Elsie

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home