Knitcentric

Young mother, and avid knitter working her way through life, one pair of socks at a time.

Friday, April 14, 2006






Welcome back everyone!

This episode seems to have gone much better than the last, but my testing isn't quite over. Hopefully I manage to get the full episode there. I know my editing is a little rough still. I don't have a lot of time for take after take, or quiet for that matter. I kind of have to make due with what I get from take one with a little editing. I know it makes the flow off in some points, but I'm working on it! This episode was a lot longer than the others I have done. I guess it's easy to talk a lot when you love what you are talking about.

My stash is something I truly love. Each ball of yarn is full of possiblities and memories that nothing could replace. Today I have pictures of my sock yarn up. That's right, only my sock yarn. I will get to my other yarns next week, as well as some of the dark side of stashing. The bottom picture is my darling daughter with my palette collection from knitpicks.com. These are my favorite yarns from my stash right now. I love the colors, but I'm almost afraid to use any of them yet. As soon as I use one, I won't have it anymore. I know, I know I can buy more, but I love having the entire collection to choose from.

Up top I have a picture of Joanna with all of my sock yarn. She was helping me to drag it all out, and insisted on modeling. I also have an adorable picture of her hugging my yarn. She is indeed a child after my heart. As we worked with my yarn she started asking if she could have her own stash. Of course she doesn't knit yet, but she knows good stuff when she finds it. When she suggested sharing my stash I did have to get a little firm. Maybe we don't need to have knitting in common.

I also have a picture of my Koigu socks up. They are working up very nicely, smooth and with a lot of texture. I don't think the picture quite captures the subtle color changes in the yarn. At some points it is a darker blue, at others almost pink and others still a soft lavender. They colors flow seemlessly from one to another, almost as waves in the ocean. I really cannot describe the beauty of this yarn, the color waves are simply magnificent.

I reviewed two books this week. Compassionate Knitting by Tara Jon Manning, which received high honors. I love the natural spirtuality of the book, and how she spoke of colors having an impact on what she knit. I will be knitting several patterns from this book. It's only downside was a lack of color pictures. They were there, but in a very small dose.

Book two was Knitting Into The Mystery by Susan S. Jorgensen and Susan S. Izard. I think I killed their names on the show, but I did try. This book was not quite my style. It seemed geared more towards knitting groups than an individual. It does however have a lot of interesting information and stories about knitting prayer shawls. If you want to knit just one for one person, don't bother with this book. Think good thoughts as you knit and buy some nicer yarn with your money. I don't mean to be mean, it is a good book, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

Lastly I did a podcast spotlight. I don't knit to music, but I love knittunes. Maura has managed to perfectly capture the essence of a stitch or style of stitches in music. The collections she has are perfectly suited to different types of knitting, and beyond that are just good tunes. I never would have thought a person could capture knitting in music, but she has found great music to knit to.

Well, that is all for now. I hope everyone enjoyed my extended show, I know too much of me is probably a little annoying. I'm not sure if this longer length will continue. I guess we'll have to see how much of me you can stand!

4 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 16, 05:57:00 PM, Anonymous Ann in Canada said…

    Love your podcast. Good clean sound and I love that you do not play music. I find myself skipping the music on a lot of the podcasts because they do not play anything I like. I love all kinds of music but most podcasters seem to be buying into pod safe stuff that all seems to sound the same or is too quirky for my tastes. I like to knit to my own choices of music. I like that you mentioned the Knit Tunes podcast which is a better way to go in my opinion than playing music in between segments of your own cast.
    I hope you keep on podcasting. I will be tuning in as long as you are up to the task.

    Thanks
    Ann in New Brunswick Canada

     
  • At Mon Apr 17, 07:24:00 PM, Blogger Irie said…

    I'm enjoying your podcast, I love your style! Keep 'em coming. :)

     
  • At Fri Apr 21, 10:54:00 AM, Anonymous Toni said…

    You're doing a great job. Thanks for another interesting episode. and congratulations on landing a don't-knit-for-me spouse, so you can keep more of what you make!

     
  • At Fri Apr 21, 09:34:00 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Just wanted to stop by and say I love your podcast! You have a great sound! Keep them coming!!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home