Knitcentric

Young mother, and avid knitter working her way through life, one pair of socks at a time.

Friday, April 21, 2006

















Hi everyone! Thank's for tuning back in, or at least stopping by. I almost didn't record this week. A silent house is so rare here! I'm glad I did though. This week I talked about some of my stashing down falls. If you look above you can see my wonderful yarn storage area. For those of you shuddering, I'm right there with you. I hope to be able to post a picture of a well organized stash soon. It will probably be a month or so, but I swear I'm trying to reform. I did babble on for a while about my stashing woes, but as I bought more yarn yesterday, and am anxiously awaiting some more yarn from knit picks I guess my stashing conquers all.

I didn't have anything new on my needles this week. I worked a lot on catching up on a quilt for Joanna this week. I need to do 8 more squares after that one, and that's before I can sew the quilt together and start the actual quilting. I'm glad I didn't wait to start my Christmas crafts. It's April, and I'm already a bit behind. Oops! I did finish my koigu socks between recording and posting, though I'm pretending those are someone else's legs pictured. If you don't believe it was my imaginary friends legs, then I'll try bad angle. The socks are nice and comfy, soft, but I'm not sure if I'm a Koigu convert yet. It's hard to be super excited over hand wash socks. I'll have to force myself to actually wear them, knowing the work I'll need to put into washing them.

I did a very lengthy review of Mason Dixon Knitting. I do babble for a while about all of the projects I'll try from it, and why I like the book. If you're a busy person, the short cut version, buy the book. It's worth it. I also reviewed Lily Sugar n'Cream cotton yarn. I've used this yarn for a bunch of things, and I never get tired of it. I've used it for baby hat's and booties and am going to clean out some of it in my stash for washcloths. It's good yarn for only a little cost.

I also talked a little about my brillant idea gone over done. I was thinking of doing a log cabin pattern afghan. I thought it would be a fun, original idea. I opened Mason Dixon Knitting, and saw my blanket. I hope I'm not the only one who is less than original sometimes! Tell me what idea you thought was brilliant until you saw it had been done before.

Well, I should have another show next week. Hope you'll tune back in!

7 Comments:

  • At Sat Apr 22, 08:14:00 AM, Blogger Daisy said…

    I love your stash storage - you should see mine! ;-)

     
  • At Sat Apr 22, 02:36:00 PM, Anonymous Natalie said…

    ohmygod! i, too, figured out a log cabin blanket for a friend's about-to-be-born baby and i was SO proud of myself. what a horror to see that my idea was comepletely unoriginal. apparently they saw somelse knit one and adapted it.

    love the podcast and your stash is really quite small =) i'm just completing a year of only stash knitting

     
  • At Sat Apr 22, 05:26:00 PM, Blogger cpurl17 said…

    I enjoyed your podcast today--it gets better with each show!

    As for "original" ideas--I have them all them time and then discover someone else did too. (especially blog stuff!)

     
  • At Mon Apr 24, 08:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elizabeth Zimmermann called coming up with a great idea only to find out it has been done before "unventing." It's like inventing, but it's just new to you rather than the world. :o)

     
  • At Wed Apr 26, 02:09:00 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Your podcast gets better every show!! You have got a good storage system you shoud see the one I have! Lol it's in a big pile on the floor of my closet!

     
  • At Thu Apr 27, 01:22:00 PM, Anonymous Toni said…

    The Yarn Harlot once blogged that she had found a quick way to wash her "handwash" socks: she puts them on and takes a shower while wearing them, washing them in the process. Then she squeezes them out and let's them air dry. That way you can wash a pair every day and, with only two pair, still wear handknit socks every day. As I only have one pair (so far) from my sockapalooza pal and they're made from superwash wool, I haven't had to make special washing arrangements. Guess I'll keep Koigu out of my own stash... which is about twice the size of yours and no more attractively stored. It's enthusiasm over order, I'm afraid!

     
  • At Tue May 02, 02:51:00 PM, Anonymous Kurt said…

    Really enjoy your podcast - specially the "real" reviews
    Interesting stash - though i have a fiber room (i spin too) i don't put all the yarn in there as i really don't want to know
    Looking forward to the next show, which seems to be out so will be checking itunes tonight

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home