Knitcentric

Young mother, and avid knitter working her way through life, one pair of socks at a time.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hoo-Hoo I'm starting!

Hello everyone out there in knitter land! Welcome to my first blog!

Since this is my first blog, I should tell you about myself. My name is Shannon, I am 23 years old. Boo is a very old nickname used only by my big sister. I have a beautiful 4 year old girl, who still loves to have Mommy knit for her. I will have been married for 5 years in May to a wonderful military man. That's right, I have become a part of the large gypsy clan known as the US Air Force.

While I don't hate the military, it has changed my life a lot, and not always in a good way. I'm currently living on the Beautiful island of Okinawa in Japan. It has beautiful beaches, trees everywhere, and of course cultural activities you just can't find in the states. The one thing I have not been able to find here is a good yarn store. I'm sure it exsists, but there is that language barrier, and of course the problem of finding someone who cares about yarn enough to know.

I guess now would be the perfect time for a confession. I have been knitting for 2 or 3 years, as a solitary knitter. That's right. I never took a class. I have never been a part of a stitch and bitch group, or any other knitting group. I have never even had a cute little yarn shop I go to, with the sweet owner who loves to answer questions. All of my knitting has been by the seat of my pants. It has been through pure luck and stupid, but fortunate mistakes that I have gotton this far in my knitting.

Until recently I had no idea there was such a big internet knitting community. While looking at books recently I saw a book, Yarn Harlot by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and I could not leave the store without it. After reading the book I discovered her blog, and it wasn't long after that I discovered knitting Podcasts. Long story less long, I ended up here. This is a potential first step to starting my own podcast, or at least finding more people who understand the need to knit.

I now know I am not alone in this knitting need. My fingers are not the only ones that itch for the feel of needles. I am not alone in my search for the perfect yarn store. I am not the only one who longs for the perfect yarn, is the perfect range of colors. The yarn which could as easily become a pair of socks as a beautiful sweater or blanket, and always knits knot free. I am not alone in wondering why people would rather buy mass produced socks when they could easily make their own with a perfect fit, as they watch tv. I am not the only person who has let laundry pile up while I try to finish a pair of warm wooly socks.

I am not obsessive. I am a part of history, passing an ancient legacy on. I am a part of history, bringing the past into the present. I am a part of keeping knitting alive.

Wow, it almost sounds believable.

1 Comments:

  • At Sat Mar 18, 06:58:00 PM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    Shannon!
    Welcome to the online Knitting Community. There is a whole world out here and it is easy to get sucked in and forget to (gasp) knit!

    Rhonda

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home